Monday, April 9, 2012 | 2:02 a.m.
In his letter to the editor, “Health care act will ruin America,” Richard McCord says the new health care bill would ruin America. He opined the insurance mandate would violate the Fifth Amendment. Wrong and wrong.
All of us with cars must have automobile insurance. None can opt out. So much for the spurious amendment argument.
Ruin America? Socialism? Do we have our doctors as government employees? Nope. Do the feds own every hospital? I don’t think so.
In the two years since its passage:
• 2.5 million more adults under age 26 are included in their parents’ health plan.
• Insurance companies must spend at least 80 percent of premiums on health care and not on officers’ salaries.
• Premiums cannot be raised by more than 10 percent without documentation.
• Coverage for children cannot be denied because of pre-existing conditions.
• The “doughnut hole” is beginning to close, making drugs for seniors more affordable.
Not fully implemented, the law has made a difference for millions of Americans. Eventually it will ensure that millions more will have quality health care that Americans deserve.