Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012 | 2 a.m.
- Dionza Bradford’s return could be big boost for Rebels backfield
- Take 5: Players and stories to keep an eye on as UNLV opens fall football practice
- UNLV football single-game tickets for 7 home dates now on sale
- Rebels slowly starting to look like the team they want to become
- Boise State dominates the Mountain West’s preseason polls; UNLV selected 9th
- UNLV football kickoff times set, including 3 day home games
- Rebels need the summer to try to become a team with more than potential
- All UNLV Football Coverage
Projected starting linebacker John Lotulelei wore a cast on his hand at practice Tuesday, but it shouldn’t affect him for the regular season, UNLV coach Bobby Hauck said.
Lotulelei strained the hand while lifting weights, and the cast is just a protective measure to help it recover as he continues to practice.
Last year, Lotulelei finished third on the team in total tackles. The senior is slated to start on the weak side.
No more tweets
UNLV football players have signed off of Twitter for the 2012 season.
It’s not uncommon for a coach to keep his players off the popular social-media site during the season. Last year, Boise State’s Chris Peterson was the first college football coach to ban his players from Twitter. He was followed by several other coaches, including South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier. This year, Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher has done the same thing.
Palo Verde High grad Sidney Hodge will wear the “Battle Born Jersey No. 36” this year, switching over from his usual No. 23.
The Battle Born Jersey is a Hauck tradition that honors the Nevadan who best exemplifies the spirit of his native state. It started with Western High’s Ronnie Paulo and continued last year with Las Vegas High grad Nate Carter. The No. 36 jersey comes with a Nevada state flag on the back.
Also changing his jersey number is freshman quarterback Nick Sherry, who wore 15 during his redshirt year but enters fall camp with No. 3.
Several local players have walked onto the team. They include:
• Freshman quarterback Savon Moniz (Silverado High)
• Junior linebacker Aareon Smith (Spring Valley High/NAU/CSN)
• Freshman offensive lineman Aleks Vekic (Durango High)
• Sophomore defensive lineman Bryson Mook (Bishop Gorman/NAU)