Las Vegas Sun

January 16, 2018

Currently: 50° — Complete forecast

Resident accused of bludgeoning two people to death in group home

David Settle

David Settle

Scene of double homicide

A resident of a Las Vegas assisted living group home used a hammer to bludgeon two people to death overnight Saturday at the home, left to purchase a bottle of wine and cigars, returned and unsuccessfully tried to kill himself, a Metro Police report says.

David Settle, 68, was arrested on two counts of murder with a deadly weapon and is in custody at the Clark County Detention Center. He is being held without bond.

Settle is accused of attacking and killing 82-year-old male resident and a 59-year-old female caretaker at the group home, 3709 W. Washington Ave. The police report identifies the resident as Henry Namett and the caregiver as Elenita Ablao.

Police were called to the home about 4:40 a.m. after ambulance workers had responded and found the two deceased.

Upon arrival, police noted the deceased male in a recliner in the living room; the deceased female was in the corner of one of the bedrooms. In the same bedroom, according to the report, a man who identified himself as Settle sat wearing only a diaper.

The police report lays out Settle’s version of the night’s events:

Settle told police he first hit Namett about 20 times in the head with a hammer he had gotten from a drawer near the kitchen. Settle then called out to Ablao, who was in her bedroom.

When Ablao entered the room, Settle struck her several times in the head with the hammer, knocking her to the ground. Ablao told Settle to stop, but he continued to strike her until she, too, was dead.

Another resident was in the room, but Settle told police the man sleeps with a blanket over his head, so Settle left him alone.

After the attacks, Settle gathered about $6 in coins from the fireplace mantel. With the coins and $7 of his own, he walked down Washington to a Walgreens store at 900 N. Rancho Drive, where he bought a bottle of Yellow Tail merlot and five Swisher Sweets cigars. He crossed the street to a 7-Eleven store, bought a cup of coffee, then took the bus back toward the home, about a mile away.

Back home, he opened the wine bottle with a knife, then cut the inside of both of his ankles. He climbed into a bathtub, fully clothed, and tried to knock himself out by hitting himself in the head with both the wine bottle and the hammer. Eventually he gave up, stripped and returned to his bed until police arrived.

Police said the hammer, wine bottle and some cigars were found in the bathroom; the change and a knife were found in the dining room. Red rings from the wine bottle were apparent on the tablecloth. Video from the 7-Eleven and Walgreens confirmed Settle’s purchases.

Asked why he killed the resident and the caretaker, Settle offered no explanation to police. He said he liked both. Namett, Settle said, would wave at him; Ablao cooked his meals.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy