Wong Maye-E / AP
Sunday, Feb. 19, 2012 | 2 a.m.
- More Adelson family members donate to PAC supporting Gingrich’s campaign (2-01-2012)
- Sheldon Adelson: How will his support help or hinder Newt Gingrich in Nevada? (1-29-2012)
- Source: Adelson family donating $5 million more to pro-Gingrich PAC (1-23-2012)
- Sources: Adelson contributed to campaign but had no say in video’s strategy (1-13-2012)
- Sheldon Adelson distancing himself from documentary attacking Mitt Romney (1-12-2012)
- GOP attacks on front-runner Romney might help Obama in Nevada (1-11-2012)
- Pro-Gingrich group to air film critical of Romney (1-08-2012)
- Adelson gives $5 million to pro-Gingrich group (1-07-2012)
- Sheldon Adelson commits $20 million to pro-Newt Gingrich group(12-15-2011)
- More Sun politics stories
Some political observers laughed it off when it was reported that Las Vegas casino mogul Sheldon Adelson had promised to spend $20 million to help elect GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich.
It appears Adelson may be abiding by that outsized promise.
Several national news outlets are reporting that Adelson is considering another $10 million contribution to the pro-Gingrich super-political action committee Winning our Future. Adelson and his family have already donated $11 million to the PAC, money that most credit with keeping Gingrich in the race.
Gingrich has been on a losing streak since the Jan. 31 Florida primary and is trying to regroup with a focus on fundraising. During the Nevada caucuses, for example, he limited his appearances in order to make calls asking donors for money.
Meanwhile, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum has been gaining momentum as the key challenger to front-runner Mitt Romney.
Adelson, who disagrees with Santorum’s socially conservative views, wants to blunt Santorum’s latest rise in the race, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Las Vegas Sun columnist Jon Ralston reported on Twitter last week that Adelson hasn’t yet pulled the trigger on the latest $10 million contribution.