Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012 | 11:42 a.m.
CARSON CITY — An estimated 25,000 Nevadans will lose their unemployment benefits on Jan. 2 if Congress fails to reach a deal on the federal budget, state officials said.
The state Division of Employment Security said today those people are receiving benefits under a federal program that extends state payments. Another 1,000 jobless will exhaust their regular state benefits each week thereafter and not be eligible for the extension, division Administrator Renee Olson said.
Olson said the jobless should continue to file weekly claims so benefits can be paid as quickly as possible if Congress continues the extension program.
The state program provides unemployment benefits up to 26 weeks.
Congress initially extended that an additional 73 weeks for a total of 99 weeks, but subsequently dropped the extension in July to a total of 79 weeks and in September to a total of 73 weeks.
Olson said the last week for extended benefits is Dec. 29.