Published Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2012 | 10 p.m.
Updated Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2012 | 11:15 p.m.
A workbench caught fire inside the Decatur Auto Center repair shop near Decatur and Lake Mead boulevards around 9:35 p.m. on Tuesday.
A Metro Police patrol officer noticed a column of heavy smoke and flames rising from the auto repair shop’s roof and alerted Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, fire spokesman Tim Szymanski said. Firefighters extinguished the fire in seven minutes.
Szymanski said the fire had started on a workbench that contained chemical products like WD-40, and then crept its way up through a roof vent that acted like a chimney. Without the vent, he said the fire would have likely destroyed the entire building and the two cars inside.
Instead, the fire only destroyed the workbench and burned part of the roof doing a total of $50,000 in damage. No one was injured.
Szymanski said the fire is under investigation, but it appeared to be accidental.