Las Vegas Sun

January 16, 2018

Currently: 63° — Complete forecast

Metro investigating timing of SWAT entry into home where intruder was shot dead

Police standoff

An internal investigation is underway to determine whether SWAT officers entered a home with a barricaded intruder too early, resulting in a deadly officer-involved shooting, Metro Police officials said.

“We will look at how long we should have waited or could have waited outside,” Undersheriff Jim Dixon said Friday during a news conference.

The shooting happened the evening of July 23 at a home in the 9000 block of Crystal Rock Circle, near Pebble Road and Gilespie Street.

Police said a homeowner entered his house about 5 p.m. and found an unknown man — wearing only underwear and socks — sitting on his couch and watching television. The intruder, who was later identified as 36-year-old Southaly Ketmany, was holding a knife and hammer, police said.

Patrol officers responded, along with police negotiators, who tried to persuade Ketmany to exit the home, Dixon said. The negotiations were unsuccessful.

As the situation progressed, police learned the man’s ex-wife had reported him missing earlier that day. Ketmany, of Sacramento, had become separated from friends while intoxicated, Dixon said.

Ketmany also had been involved in an altercation at a local hotel the previous day, Dixon said.

Police used a bullhorn to broadcast taped messages from Ketmany’s ex-wife, urging him to surrender, Dixon said.

By 8 p.m., SWAT officers entered the home through a sliding-glass door and made contact with the suspect, who was still carrying the knife and hammer, Dixon said. The officers deployed low-lethal rounds, used a Taser and released a police dog in an effort to force compliance, but Ketmany ultimately charged the officers, Dixon said.

Officers Jay James and Douglas Ericsson fired several shots at “very close range,” striking Ketmany an undetermined number of times, Dixon said.

Ketmany struggled with paramedics but was transported to University Medical Center, where he later died, Dixon said.

As part of an internal review, the incident commander and officers will be interviewed in coming weeks, along with neighbors and other witnesses, Dixon said.

Police also are awaiting the results of a toxicology report.

“We will find out what exactly happened out there and how the timelines worked out,” Dixon said.

Metro’s internal investigation could take up to three months to complete, spokesman Jose Hernandez said.

James, 40, and Ericsson, 42, have been placed on routine paid administrative leave pending the review.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy