Las Vegas Sun

November 19, 2017

Currently: 42° — Complete forecast

Bus station guard tells police he pleaded for his life with suspect in shooting


L.E. Baskow

Metro Police process the crime scene outside the Greyhound bus terminal following a shooting in downtown Las Vegas Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013.

Updated Friday, Dec. 6, 2013 | 1:18 p.m.

James Abney

James Abney


A security guard who told a loiterer Thursday night to move along from in front of the downtown Greyhound bus station said he pleaded for his life when the man pulled a gun on him, according to a Metro Police report.

James Abney, 64, Forney, Texas, is in custody on counts of charges of attempted murder, attempted battery with a deadly weapon and discharging a firearm into an occupied structure.

Around 6:40 p.m. Metro officers responded to reports of multiple shots fired at the bus terminal, 200 S. Main St. Ultimately no injuries were reported, but the arrest report indicates that in addition to shooting at the guard, Abney tried to take his own life

Lazaro Farias, a security guard at the bus station, told police the incident started after he saw Abney loitering in front of the bus station.

According to the arrest report:

After Farias’ told Abney to leave several times, Abney pulled out a small, chrome handgun and pointed it at the guard. Farias told Abney he had a child and pleaded for his life, Farias told police. Abney told police he fired into the air, “to scare” the security guard, who ran into the station and attempted to call the police.

Abney told police he smoked a cigarette before following the guard into the station. He spotted Farias leaving through a side exit and fired a shot that hit the glass wall next to the exit.

Farias found his supervisor, Kinika Jackson, and reported the shooting. Jackson left out of a side exit, got in her car and drove to the front of the building. She parked her car at the front entrance in an attempt to block Abney inside. Jackson saw Abney walking in her direction, according to the arrest report, and then ran.

Witnesses reported hearing at least three more shots, but no one was injured as a result of the shooting.

When officers arrived, they found Abney inside. He threw down the gun when confronted by police and was arrested without incident.

Abney, after he was in custody, told police he was at the bus terminal to try to stay warm and wanted to buy a ticket for a Friday morning bus ride to California. When Farias told him to leave, Abney said he “wanted to make an example” of the guard and pulled out the gun.

Abney, an ex-felon, also said he put the gun in his own mouth and pulled the trigger twice in an attempt to take his own life.

Abney previously was convicted of burglary involving murder, armed robbery and aggravated robbery. All of the previous convictions occurred in Texas and the most recent is from 1977.

Abney remains in the Clark County Detention Center without bail.

Formal charges have not been filed against Abney in Thursday’s incident, according to the Clark County District Attorney’s Office.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy