Sam Morris / Las Vegas Sun
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 | 6 p.m.
Every year thousands of people flock to Las Vegas for the annual March Madness viewing parties surrounding the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. Tourists and locals playing hookey or cashing in their vacation days can enjoy basketball and beer specials up and down the Strip. Read on to find your perfect viewing venue.
• The Cosmopolitan offers a variety of ticketing options for their viewing party that runs March 21-24 in the Brera Ballroom. The venue will feature concession stands with special selections from Holsteins, among others. The resort’s well-respected mixology program will also be on display, offering unique libations and a special cocktail of the day in addition to traditional game day fare. Fans can shoot hoops on the court or place bets at one of several satellite betting stations. General Admission includes two complimentary cocktails and access to a lounge with onsite betting for $40 per day. VIP admission for $125 includes complimentary cocktails and upgraded lounge seating. There is also a private group option plus various room and viewing party packages. Contact 855-435-0005 for details.
• At Meatball Spot, groups of four can share a meatball sampler, which includes 12 meatballs and sauces plus a pitcher of draft beer, priced at $49.95. Pitchers of select beers are $14.95. For March Madness, Meatball Spot debuts buffalo chicken meatballs, made with chicken meatballs stuffed with bleu cheese, smothered in hot buffalo sauce.
• Hussong's offers $25 beer towers of Dos Equis Ambar or Lager. Two towers gets you a pair of Dos Equis souvenir glasses. Buy three of them and receive a life-size cardboard cutout of the Most Interesting Man. Bottles of Dos Equis are $2.75.
• Slice of Vegas offers Stella Artois beer towers for $25, $15 buckets of Bud and Bud Light, $5 bottles of New Castle and $6 pints of Strongbow.
• Holsteins and LBS offer the Bracket Burger during March Madness featuring an 8 oz. dry-aged beef patty topped with American cheese, a fried egg, firecracker onions, lettuce, tomato, avocado, spicy mustard and BBQ sauce served with a choice of shoestring or steak fries.
• El Cortez will host a viewing party in its Fiesta Room March 21-23. The party is open Thursday and Friday, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Saturday, 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. Guests can enjoy $1 Budweiser drafts, $1 hot dogs and $2 brats.
• Allegro offers an all-you-can-eat tailgate menu for $79 per person, featuring meatball sliders, chicken wings, meatball and margarita pizza, mini-chicken parmigiana and truffled fries.
• The D celebrates March Madness with viewing parties and t-shirt giveaways March 21-24. The 12th floor ballroom offers a free viewing party with large screen TVs plus food and drink specials and onsite betting.
• Fremont Street Experience hosts Downtown Hoopstown, a month-long event from March 1-31. Downtown Hoopstown features free entertainment from the Hardwood Hotties, a high-energy stage show performing nightly from 6-9 p.m. on the Third Street Stage (Dark March 15-17). For just $1 a shot, guests can also test their skills and challenge their friends in basketball shoot-outs in the High Hoops Zone interactive area featuring 20-, 25- and 30-foot basketball hoops. The experience will showcase the world’s largest NCAA bracket on the 1,500-foot long Viva Vision screen, which will be updated daily throughout the tournament.
• Tender Steak & Seafood at Luxor offers “Sips, Bits n’ Buckets” through April 8. The menu features small plates that include seafood, meat and vegetarian options with prices ranging from $4 to $20 available exclusively during game nights in Tender’s lounge. Seafood selections include Maine sea scallops, Skuna Bay salmon and Malpeque oysters. Featured meat dishes include short rib ravioli, Nilgai antelope osso buco and lamb loin porterhouse. Vegetarian sports lovers can enjoy chick pea hummus with pita bread, quinoa linguini primavera and marinated olives and cornichons.
Liquor flights include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal and single malt scotch. Johnnie Walker tastings will include 1-ounce pours of Johnnie Walker Black Label, Johnnie Walker Gold Label and Johnnie Walker Blue Label, priced at $55. Crown Royal tastings will include 1-ounce pours of Crown Royal, Crown Reserve and Crown XR, priced at $35. Single malt scotch tastings will feature 1-ounce pours of Balvenie 15 Year, Auchentoshan 10 year and Lagavulin 16 Year, priced at $35. Beer buckets, priced at $25, will also be available with a dynamic selection of alternating beers each week.
Wine enthusiasts may enjoy 3-ounce pours of white and red wines including Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, Ferrari-Carano Merlot, William Hill Chardonnay and Qupe Syrah for $5 each. Artisan cheese selections serve as the ideal wine accompaniment, with varieties including Grafton Village cheddar, Truffle Tremor Goat and Marieke Gouda, priced at $5 each.
• South Point hosts the Championship Hoops Heaven party March 21 – 23. Hoops Heaven inside the Grand Ballroom will feature on-site wagering, free betting advice from the guys behind “The Linemakers,” free chair massages, and a daily free throw contest against former NCAA and NBA stars. Drink specials include $4 Crown Royal, Smirnoff, Jose Cuervo or Baileys cocktails; $16 six-beer buckets of Budweiser or Bud Light aluminum bottles; and $25 Bloody Mary or margarita pitchers. The party will also offer various food specials throughout the first three days of the tournament. Doors open at 8 a.m. each day.
• Señor Frog’s Las Vegas at Treasure Island offers viewing parties and specials through the championship game on Monday, Apr. 8. Enjoy the Loco Platter, complete with sliders, onion rings and wings, priced at $25. Miller Lite beer buckets with five bottled beers are also $25. The upstairs area will feature tiered seating for optimal viewing.
• Public House Las Vegas at the Luxor will host viewing parties during the championships featuring food and drink specials through April 8. Enjoy the Mad Platter, an appetizer sampler ideal for groups of three and priced at $75. The platter includes kettle chip nachos piled high with beer-braised short ribs and gouda fondue, chicken wings, mac ‘n’ cheese squares, cheesesteak spring rolls and jumbo onion rings served with an array of house-made sauces. Enjoy $25 buckets of wings made with a choice of Old Bay seasoning, barbecue, buffalo or sweet Thai chili sauces and served with bleu cheese dip. Buckets of five Bud Light or Coors Light beers are $25, Jagermeister shots are $5 and Jager Bombs are $8. Beer pong tables will be set up for halftime fun.
• Rhumbar offers NCAA drink specials March 21-24 including $6 Bloody Marys and margaritas, $5 Coors Light bottles and $25 Coors Light buckets. Food specials include pulled pork or chicken sliders, nachos, chili dogs and hot dogs. Chorizo and egg burritos also will be served on Thursday and Friday beginning at 9 a.m. while supplies last. Doors will open 30 minutes prior to the start of the day's first game.
• Stratosphere will be the March BBall Tournament HQ from March 21-24. Catch all the action at the recently remodeled Stratosphere Theater on nine huge theater-style screens. Admission is free for those 21 years and older. Food specials are available for $3 and $6 including breakfast items from 8 - 11 a.m. and a barbecue sandwich station opening at 11 a.m. Drink specials include $5 pitchers of Budweiser and Bud Light. Blackjack games will be offered in the theater plus free Wi-Fi.
• Pure Nightclub inside Caesars Palace hosts a viewing party March 21-24 from 8:45 a.m. to 10 p.m. Watch the action on 28 widescreen HD televisions, premium seating and VIP table experiences. Food and drink specials include barbecue pork sliders and pineapple slaw, dirty chip nachos, basil-tomato fondue stuffed mac 'n' cheese ball tempura and more.
• Dick’s Last Resort at Excalibur kicks off its viewing party March 19 where fans can partake in ri-Dick-ulous drink specials and exclusive giveaways through April 8. Drink specials include 24 oz. Miller Lite cans for $5, Miller Lite buckets for $25, buy two pitchers get one free of Miller Lite for $20, $5 Jack Daniel’s Honey shots or $10 Grey Goose.
• Heraea at Palms offers the chance to win prizes throughout the NCAA men’s tournament, with a trip to the 2014 men’s basketball championship weekend as the grand prize. Guests can enjoy the action on 30 large TV screens and utilize the “Bet at Your Table” option from Cantor Gaming.
The three week competition includes six rounds of matchups where contestants receive prizes as their teams advance through the tournament to the round of 16, round of eight and round of four games. The grand prize is awarded to the competitor whose team wins the championship game played April 8.
Heraea also offers a free drink to those who show up in their team's gear and a free shot to everybody in attendance gets a free shot if a 12 seed or higher pulls off an upset. Appetizer specials include beef and pork rib sliders, sriracha and brown butter wings, pretzel-wrapped hot dogs and mushroom spring rolls.
• Caesars offers several packages including Hoops at Harrah’s for $89 per person including tabled seating and betting stations.
• At Planet Hollywood, opt for the Hoops on the Mezz packages for $109 per person with conveniently located table games and betting stations.
• The Hoops at Caesars Palace package is $175 per person and includes unlimited well liquor, house wine and table seating.
• The ultimate college hoops man cave packages are available at Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino, Harrah’s Las Vegas and the Quad. Amenities offered include an exclusive living room style viewing area, high-end buffet, premium beverages and private televisions showing all four games at once.
• Hoops at The Quad: The package is $1,199 for a group of six ($199 for each additional person) and includes and open bar, convenient sports betting capabilities and exclusive living room space.
• Hoops at Harrah’s: The package is $1,999 for a group of eight ($199 for each additional person) and includes an open bar, convenient sports betting capabilities and exclusive living room space.
• Hoops on the Mezz at Planet Hollywood: The package is $1,799 for a group of eight ($224 for each up to two additional people) and includes open premium bar, foosball, beer pong and appearances by the Miller Lite models.
• Hoops at Caesars Palace: The package is $1,999 for a group of six ($199 each for two additional people) and includes the Full Court Package plus personal cocktail service, video games and individual gift bags.
• The Hoops on the Mezz Championship Package at Planet Hollywood is $3,399 for a group of 12 ($279 for each up to 10 additional people) and includes an open premium bar, pool table, foosball, beer pong, front of the line sports betting and appearances by the Miller Lite models.
• Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill at Caesars Palace offers a special menu on tournament game days from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. through April 2. The $19 “Dog with Chips or Crisps” offers a choice between a grilled pork belly dog, English cheddar dog, creole dog or Rueben dog with either English chips or English crisps. A $100 wristband for an open draft beer bar will be offered for Saturday and Sunday games.
• Sapphire Gentlemen’s Club offers “The Ultimate March Madness Party” featuring a watch party that runs through April 8. Robert Horry, retired NBA player and SportsNet commentator, hosts the weekend parties March 22-23. The championship game watch on April 8 offers no cover and starts at 4 p.m. There will be food and drink from sponsors Absolut Vodka, Jameson Whiskey, Malibu Rum and Heineken.
A 5 p.m., check out the Sapphire Stripper Shootout with 20 entertainers shooting hoops to see who will take home the title plus cash and prizes.
• Silverton Casino Hotel offers food and drink specials at Mermaid Restaurant & Lounge, Shady Grove Lounge & Bar and Mi Casa Grill Cantina. Drink specials at all bars include $4 PBR pitchers, $2 Modelo Especial cans, $12 Cornoa and Cornoa Light buckets of 6 beers, $2 Jagermeister shots and $3 Skyy Vodka cocktails. Food Specials inside Mermaid Restaurant & Lounge include $2 roasted veggie pizza, tomato & mozzarella pizza and pepperoni & mushroom pizza. Food specials inside Shady Grove Lounge & Bar include $2 chili cheese dogs, slaw dogs and BBQ dogs. Food specials inside Mi Casa Grill Cantina include $2 crispy chicken tacos, Machaca beef taquitos, jalapeño bottle caps, crispy quesadillas, chihuahua dogs, Mi Casa nachos, bean dip and honey chipotle hot wings.
• Head to Hoops central at the LVH Theater from March 21-24 to watch the games in a smoke-free setting featuring giant HD screens, food and drink specials, free admission, satellite betting stations and giveaways. Doors open at 8 a.m. daily except Sunday with is currently TBA.
• Hard Rock Hotel & Casino offers viewing parties at Vinyl March 20-23 from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. with complimentary entry, free food, drink specials and $10 free play daily. The Center Bar located on the casino’s floor will play the action packed games on big screens above the bar. All casino bars will offer $5 drink specials and $20 buckets of beer. Pink Taco offers specials March 21-24, opening early to accommodate tip off times. They’ll also add six 60 inch high-definition TVs throughout the restaurant and poolside patio. 35 Steaks + Martinis and Mr. Lucky’s Café will also offer specials from March 20-23.
• During March Madness, Miracle Mile Shops offers patrons wearing college basketball gear, including t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, etc. a complimentary Shop.Dine.Save. coupon book featuring $2,500 worth of savings. Visitors may pick up their complimentary coupon book at the customer service desk located near the parking garage.
• Blondies Sports Bar & Grill offers offer 50 percent off table reservation covers for those who reserve their table online and use the reservation code “MMBlondies2” March 28 -April 8. During tournament games, guests will enjoy $5 mixed drinks featuring Jack Daniels, Cazadores tequila, Tito’s Vodka and Bacardi.
• Cabo Wabo Cantina offers viewing on multiple high-definition televisions throughout the restaurant plus every Tuesday through Thursday in March from 3 – 6 p.m., Cabo Wabo Cantina offers fans 25 beers for $25 as well as daily and hourly shot specials.
• Cheeseburger Las Vegas offers guests $20 buckets of Bud Light, Bud Light Platinum and Budweiser bottles during all March Madness games. The restaurant will show each game on three projection screens and 11 additional HD TVs.
• Basketball fans can watch all the March Madness tournament games at D’Amore’s Famous Pizza. Guests who wear their team’s jersey during the game in which that team wins will receive a free drink with the purchase of a slice of pizza.
• During March Madness, db’s Pong & Pool Hall will offer $3 pints and $10 pitches of Rolling Rock, $12 pitchers of Modelo Especial and $20 buckets of Corona and Corona Light. Additionally, guests can enjoy $5 mixed drinks featuring Jack Daniels, Cazadores tequila, Tito’s vodka, Bacardi and other Bacardi-flavored rums.
• Celebrate March Madness with Pampas Churrascaria Brazilian Grill and enjoy half-priced appetizers, beer and well drinks during all basketball games.
• Catch all the March Madness action at PBR Rock Bar & Grill and enjoy $19 beer buckets. The bar also offers a $125 premium open bar that lasts all day or a $50 premium open bar from 6 p.m. to close.
• Rockhouse offers a $125 premium open bar that lasts all day or a $50 premium open bar from 6 p.m. to close.
• Treasure Island’s March Madness event will be in the non-smoking TI Ballroom, on the second floor from March 21 at 8 a.m. through March 23 at 10 p.m. Multiple large screen TVs will be set up for fans to watch the games. Guests must be 21 or older and the free party offers satellite betting stations in the venue.