Las Vegas Sun

May 19, 2019

Currently: 78° — Complete forecast

Hit-and-run suspect’s bloody bumper left at scene, police say

Man And Baby Hit By Vehicle

Steve Marcus

A stroller is shown in the area where a man and a baby were hit by a car on South Rainbow Boulevard near Warm Springs Road Monday, Nov. 24, 2014.

Click to enlarge photo

Galina Kilova

Man and Baby Hit By Vehicle

Metro Police officers confer near the area where a man and a baby were hit by a car on South Rainbow Boulevard near Warm Springs Road Monday, Nov. 24, 2014. Launch slideshow »

After Michael Grubbs was hit and killed while pushing his granddaughter in a stroller along South Rainbow Boulevard, all that was left at the scene was the blood-strained bumper of the car that hit him.

Galina Kilova was driving the gray Honda Civic on Nov. 24 that hit Grubbs, 63, and his 1-year-old grandchild on the shoulder of Rainbow and then fled the scene of the accident, according to a Metro Police arrest report.

According to the report:

Kilova was trying to pass other vehicles on the road when she drove off the roadway, striking Grubbs and the child from behind, police said.

The Honda then swerved left and got into a second collision, hitting a trailer that a Jeep was pulling. The Honda failed to stop at the scene, and continued driving northbound. The bumper of the car was left behind with an apparent blood stain on it.

Two drivers who witnessed the accident followed the Honda north on Rainbow to Badura Avenue where they lost sight of the car. Both witnesses were able to get a portion of the license plate number.

According to the report, the portion of the license plate given was linked to 16 possible plates that were Honda Civic year 2005 or newer.

While Metro detective Ken Salisbury was investigating the possible plates, he received an anonymous tip that Kilova was the driver involved in the collision.

Upon matching the Honda Civic with an address listed as Kilova's residence, Salisbury also discovered that Kilova's driver's license was not valid. The vehicle was found and brought in for inspection and had matching damage that would have occurred from the accident.

Kilova's employer contacted Salisbury stating that Kilova came into work late that day and parked her car away from her usual spot in a remote location.

During a recorded interview included in the arrest report with Kilova and her lawyer, Herb Sachs, Kilova admitted to being at the intersection at the time of the accident.

The child hit by Kilova was treated for minor injuries, while the grandfather, Grubbs, was pronounced dead on scene.

Kilova was arrested more than a week after the crash, and was freed on bail.

Kilova posted $20,000 bail late Tuesday evening and was released from the Clark County jail, according to Metro Officer Jose Hernandez.

Kilova faces a felony hit-and-run charge and has a Feb. 17 court date, according to police.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy