Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014 | 1:13 p.m.
SPRINGFIELD, Minn. — A suspected carbon monoxide leak has forced an evacuation at a southern Minnesota school and sent nearly 30 people to the hospital.
Police were called to Springfield Public School just after 9:30 a.m. Thursday after a couple of students reportedly fell ill in the school auditorium.
The entire school was evacuated. By midday, 27 people, including children, were taken to the Mayo Clinic Health Center in Springfield.
The Free Press reports it's unknown how many students were among the sick.
Students and staff were taken to the Springfield Community Center, where students were to be picked up by parents.
The Springfield Fire Department and a crew from CenterPoint Energy were checking the building to make sure all students were out, and to find the source of the leak.