Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014 | 3:30 p.m.
Firefighters and dispatchers delivered a second Christmas this weekend to a family that lost most of its belongings in a New Year’s Eve blaze.
Clark County emergency responders said flames erupted Dec. 31 inside the family’s garage in the 6800 block of Carrera Drive. Though crews put out the fire before it reached the home, most of its contents were ruined by ash, soot and the smell of the fire.
Roman and Tenekia Powell managed to get out of the house safely along with their four children — Martel, 12; Malik, 13; Mikeal, 17; and Acacia, 18. It was not clear on Saturday what started the fire.
Through a nonprofit dubbed Operation Fire HEAT (Holiday Emergency Assistance Team), the family this weekend was given groceries, clothing and school supplies along with new Christmas presents to replace those damaged by the fire.
The Powell family is the sixth this year to be helped by HEAT, which was launched six years ago by dispatchers in Las Vegas’ fire alarm office. Its mission is to bring Christmas comfort to children affected by fires during the holiday season.
On Christmas Day, the organization brought Santa Claus, Sparky the Fire Dog and a truckload of presents to three children who had lost their mother in a September house fire.