Las Vegas Sun

October 24, 2017

Currently: 72° — Complete forecast

For second time in a month, police contend with talk of ‘the revolution’

Suspect arrested for DUI also tells officer, ‘You are going to get yours’

Invoking the words of a man who took part in the slaying last month of two police officers and a bystander, a Las Vegas man told police “the revolution is coming” as he was arrested Sunday for driving under the influence of drugs.

The District Attorney’s Office has not yet formally charged the man, who was arrested about 8:30 p.m. Sunday in the 1800 block of North Walnut Road, east of Pecos Road and south of West Lake Mead Boulevard.

A Metro Police declaration of arrest said an officer first observed a driver skidding to an abrupt stop, several feet past a stop line. Then the driver drove onto the side of the road and corrected back to his lane before coming to a complete stop at Tropicana Avenue and Walnut. The officer put on sirens and lights as the man drove to a home on Walnut Road.

There the man attempted but could not complete a field sobriety test administered by police, the report says, and was arrested.

About this time, the report adds, his sister began screaming and the man’s brother-in-law emptied his pockets on the ground, apparently getting ready for a fight.

By this time, several Metro officers had arrived. They told the 15-20 people gathered to go back inside or face arrest. The brother-in-law stayed outside and was arrested.

The driver, the report says, also told the arresting officer, “You are going to get yours.”

During an interview with the Sun’s editorial board today, Sheriff Doug Gillespie said incidents in which people challenge police officers have risen in recent years.

On June 8, Jerad and Amanda Miller killed Officers Alyn Beck and Igor Soldo in an ambush at an eastside pizza restaurant. The Millers then went across the street to a Wal-Mart. Upon entering the store, according to police and eyewitnesses, Jerad Miller yelled to the crowd, “The revolution has started.”

When it appeared few were heeding his words, Jerad Miller fired a shot into the air, and shoppers started scrambling.

The gunshot caused bystander Joseph Wilcox, who had a permit to carry a concealed weapon, to confront Jerad Miller. Unknown to Wilcox, however, Jerad Miller was not alone. Amanda Miller shot and killed Wilcox.

After police arrived at the store, a shootout ensued. Jerad Miller died after being hit in the chest by a police gunshot; Amanda Miller shot herself in the head and later died at University Medical Center.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy