Las Vegas Sun

November 23, 2017

Currently: 72° — Complete forecast

Metro Police ID officers in shooting of suspect in fatal home attack


Steve Marcus

Metro Police officers are shown in a neighborhood near Tropicana Avenue and Sandhill Road after an officer-involved shooting Tuesday, July 29, 2014. The shooting was related to a home invasion, according to Metro Police.

Updated Thursday, July 31, 2014 | 12:09 p.m.

Natasha Jackson

Natasha Jackson

Home Invasion Shooting

Metro Police public information officer Jose Hernandez speaks to Spanish-language reporters in a neighborhood near Tropicana Avenue and Sandhill Road after an officer-involved shooting Tuesday, July 29, 2014. Launch slideshow »

Metro Police have identified two officers in Tuesday’s fatal shooting of a suspect in a carjacking and attacks at two Las Vegas houses where a homeowner was killed and two women were critically injured.

Officers William Moore, 34 and Ryan Rotta, 24, fired their weapons during a confrontation with Cody Winters, 27, in a southeast Las Vegas neighborhood where an early morning crime spree came to an end.

A second suspect, Natasha Galenn Jackson, 35, was arrested on counts including murder and kidnapping.

Both officers have been placed on routine administrative leave. Moore has been with Metro since January 2006 and Rotta since 2008.

The incident began about 6:30 a.m. when police allege Winters and Jackson robbed a freeway service worker at gunpoint and forced him to drive them to the area of Tropicana Avenue and Sandhill Road.

Jackson told homicide detectives that the two were looking to steal a car when they knocked on the door of a house under the pretense of needing to use the telephone, according to a Metro arrest report.

Once inside, Winters pulled a gun and the homeowner, Richard Ramos, tried to take it away, police said. During the struggle Winters shot Ramos and Jackson stabbed Ramos’ wife, Julie, with a screwdriver, the arrest report said.

Richard Ramos died at a hospital and his wife was suffered critical injuries.

Winters and Jackson then broke into a nearby abandoned house, where Jackson was taken into custody, police said. Winters, meanwhile, broke into another house and shot a woman inside, before he came out and was shot by officers, police said.

The woman, whose name has not been released, was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy