Las Vegas Sun

October 22, 2017

Currently: 74° — Complete forecast

Judge sets preliminary hearing in case involving woman who died of injuries after spanking, beating


Christopher DeVargas

Edward Edgerton, accused of beating his girlfriend to death, appears in court at the Regional Justice Center, Wednesday, March 20, 2014.

A May preliminary hearing is scheduled for the Las Vegas man accused of murder in the weekend death of his girlfriend.

Las Vegas Township Judge Melanie Tobiasson today set a May 16 court date for Edward Edgerton, 26, who told the court he was giving up his right to a speedy preliminary hearing. In a preliminary hearing, a judge decides if there is enough evidence to send a defendant to trial.

Edgerton, who is charged with one count of open murder, was arrested Saturday in the death of his girlfriend Tyanna Reynolds, 24. Edgerton told detectives he and Reynolds had fought Saturday morning and he had used a belt to spank her – acceptable punishment in their relationship, Edgerton told police.

The Clark County Coroner’s Office on Tuesday ruled Reynolds’ death was the result of a beating.

A Metro Police arrest report outlines the following details leading up to Reynolds’ death:

The couple started arguing around midnight after Edgerton intercepted a phone call from Reynolds’ ex-boyfriend. Edgerton told police he pinned Reynolds to the bed and forced to her to write down her recent contacts with her ex-boyfriend.

Edgerton told Reynolds to stand in the corner and read aloud what she had written. Edgerton told police the couple had an agreement that when one of them “messed up,” the other would dish out punishment with a belt, so after Reynolds read the contacts with her ex-boyfriend, Edgerton spanked Reynolds’ exposed bottom 15 to 20 times with a belt.

Later Saturday, Edgerton discovered more missed calls from Reynolds’ ex-boyfriend, reigniting the argument, the report said.

During an ensuing fight, Reynolds told Edgerton she could not breathe and she passed out after going to take a shower, Edgerton reportedly told police. Edgerton called 911, and Reynolds died after being transported to Sunrise Hospital.

Edgerton remains in Clark County Detention Center without bail.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy