Tuesday, May 13, 2014 | 5:06 p.m.
CARSON CITY – A $1.1 million contract has been approved for finding ways to relieve congestion in an area near Interstate 15 and Tropicana Avenue, where traffic is a “disaster,” according to one member of the Nevada Transportation Board.
The board Monday approved the contract for C-A Group of Las Vegas for a study to find alternatives to the snarl.
The contract calls for a feasibility study of the Tropicana interchange at I-15 plus the area bounded by Las Vegas Boulevard South, South Valley View Boulevard, Harmon Avenue and Hacienda Avenue. Several major hotel-casinos, including Mandalay Bay, Tropicana, Excalibur, New York-New York, MGM Grand, are situated within the area of study.
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority plans to pay part of the cost, according to transportation documents.
Board member Tom Skancke told his colleagues last month, “That (area) is a disaster.”
John Terry, assistant director for engineering in the department, said the study was expected to take about six months. Terry said it may “take awhile” to solve the problem.