Las Vegas Sun

March 23, 2019

Currently: 58° — Complete forecast

Man smoking cigarette sparks fire while examining gas can

A man who was looking for a leak in a gasoline can as he smoked a cigarette ignited a flash fire Tuesday afternoon that injured himself and his wife, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue said.

Crews were called about 5:10 p.m. to the 4100 block of Silver Dollar Avenue, near Sahara Avenue and Valley View Boulevard, where a fire broke out in a tiny utility room, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

The man, who was holding the gas can as he examined it for a leak, was transported to University Medical Center with serious injuries, Szymanski said.

His wife heard him scream and tried to put the fire out by patting him down with her hands, which caused burns to her hands.

She was also transported to the hospital, Szymanski said.

Some trash cans were burned in the fire, amounting to about $100 in damage, he said.

None of the apartments in the eight-unit, two-story building sustained any damage, he said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy