Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015 | 2 a.m.
Ray Brewer and Case Keefer are back with their weekly discussion of the high school football scene, which is headlined this week by a top-five game pitting Basic against Arbor View. They also wonder out loud if Bishop Gorman, Liberty and Arbor View are fielding their best teams in program history this season.
Coronado joins our high school football top-10 after a convincing win last week at Canyon Springs.
The Cougars replace Canyon Springs, who become the second team in our preseason rankings to be pumped. Last week, Palo Verde (1-3) exited the rankings.
Here’s how the other teams stack up:
1. Bishop Gorman (4-0): The Gaels are making it look easy against a who’s who of national opponents. Up next: Friday vs. Servite (Calif.)
2. Liberty (2-1): Liberty won’t have much time to enjoy its victory last week against Centennial. The Patriots’ next opponent, Coronado, enters on a two-game winning streak and full of confidence. Up next: Friday at Coronado
3. Desert Pines (4-0): The Jags’ most important task the rest of Sunrise League play is staying healthy. They are the clear-cut favorites to win the state championship. Up next: Friday vs. Boulder City
4. Arbor View (3-1): We’ll find out Friday about this year’s Arbor View team. Was the loss to Desert Pines out of character? Bring on the Basic Wolves Up next: Friday vs. Basic
5. Basic (3-0): Friday will be Basic’s chance to prove it’s one of the Southern Nevada’s elite programs. Bring on the Arbor View Aggies. Up next: Friday at Arbor View
6. Centennial (3-1): Centennial drops in the rankings after a poor showing last week against Liberty. They had no chance to win. Up next: Friday at Canyon Springs
7. Coronado (2-1): Back to back wins in North Las Vegas propel the Cougars into the top-10. They can prove they belong Friday against No. 2 Liberty. Up next: Friday vs. Liberty
8. Foothill (2-1): Foothill enjoyed a blowout win last week against Durango. It should cruise again this week. Up next: Friday vs. Shadow Ridge
9. Faith Lutheran (3-1): Faith Lutheran will have its hands full this week. Up next: Friday at Mojave
10. Moapa Valley (2-2): Moapa Valley can make a statement this week against large-school classification Legacy. Up next: Friday vs. Legacy