Friday, April 15, 2016 | 2 a.m.
While the thought of Chris Beard leaving the UNLV basketball program for Texas Tech after one week in Las Vegas seems odd, it wouldn’t be a first for college athletics.
As we wait for the official word on Beard’s status, here’s a look at some of the others:
• In 2007, Dana Altman left Creighton for what appeared to be a better job at Arkansas. But less than a day later, he was back at Creighton.
• After coaching Florida to consecutive national championships, Billy Donovan briefly left for the Orlando Magic of the NBA in 2007. Almost immediately after signing his contract, Donovan realized he had made a mistake and hired a lawyer to break the deal. He returned to Florida.
• George O’Leary resigned in 2001 after five days coaching Notre Dame football because he fabricated parts of his academic and athletic background.
• In 1995, Glen Mason spent one week as the Georgia football coach before returning to Kansas.
• In 1985, Rollie Massimino agreed to a 10-year contract to coach the New Jersey Nets and started helping them prepare for the draft. He backed out and returned to Villanova. He, of course, eventually left Philadelphia for UNLV in 1992.