Las Vegas Sun

September 18, 2019

Currently: 92° — Complete forecast

Fire knocks out utilities at apartment building, displaces residents

A fire that started in the laundry room of a central valley apartment complex this morning displaced 10 people from their homes, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials.

The fire, reported just before 6 a.m. in the 2600 block of Cedar Avenue, melted electrical wires going into the building and could leave units without electricity, water and gas for up to two weeks, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

There were no injuries, and the fire didn’t spread from the laundry room. But the blaze caused an estimated $20,000 in damage, Szymanski said. The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined but officials believe it may have been electrical.

Szymanski said the American Red Cross of Southern Nevada has been asked to help residents find a place to live until utilities are restored.

In a separate incident, a bathroom fan left running all night sparked a house fire that caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, according to the Clark County Fire Department.

The fire was reported about 4 a.m. in the 600 block of Fontayne Avenue, near Bermuda and Pebble roads, officials said.

All occupants of the two-story home were outside when firefighters arrived, and the fire was extinguished before spreading from the second-story bathroom, officials said.