Las Vegas Sun

December 5, 2019

Currently: 59° — Complete forecast

8-year-old boy killed in ‘100 percent avoidable’ Las Vegas car crash

Fatal Accident on Eastern and Harmon

Steve Marcus

Metro Police and crime scene analysts investigate a fatal accident at Harmon an Eastern avenues Friday, Aug. 31, 2018.

Updated Friday, Aug. 31, 2018 | 7:03 p.m.

Fatal Accident on Eastern and Harmon

Metro Police and crime scene analysts investigate a fatal accident at Harmon an Eastern avenues Friday, Aug. 31, 2018. Launch slideshow »

A speeding motorist in a Chevrolet Camaro blew through at least one red light on a central valley roadway Friday morning, broadsiding a car, killing an 8-year-old boy, and critically injuring a woman, according to Metro Police.

Aylin Alvarez-Perez, who excessively accelerated the Camaro, was subsequently arrested on counts of DUI and reckless driving, police announced Friday afternoon. She is 25.

The three-vehicle crash was reported about 8:30 a.m. on Eastern and Harmon avenues, police said.

“We’re unfortunately out here at the beginning of the holiday season for our first fatal of the holiday weekend, and quite frankly this one is an embarrassment to the community,” said Capt. Nick Farese, who appeared visibly frustrated, in an online briefing.

An account by investigators states that Alvarez-Perez, who was heading south of Eastern, ran a red light at the intersection, crashing into a Dodge Avenger that was heading west on Harmon, police said.

That car then spun and struck a Hyundai Sonata, injuring a man and a woman, police said. Both suffered survivable injuries.

The boy, who Farese said was properly restrained in the back seat of the Avenger, died at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, where a 33-year-old female passenger, who was critically injured, also was taken, police said.

The 41-year-old behind the wheel was hospitalized with moderate injuries, police said.

Investigators were exploring the possibility that Alvarez-Perez might have run a red signal before blowing through the one that caused the crash, Farese said.

Alvarez-Perez also was taken to a hospital with minor injuries, Farese said. After being tested for impairment, she was booked at the Clark County Detention Center on two counts each of DUI and reckless driving.

“I get frustrated on these (crashes)," Farese said, “because these are 100 percent avoidable. Whether you’re late to work; whether you’re distracted; you’re speeding just because, speed kills and today a testimony of that is a family that has to bury a child,” he added.

The crash, which shut down traffic in the area, remained under investigation Friday afternoon.