Las Vegas Sun

January 19, 2019

Currently: 47° — Complete forecast

Candle blamed for fire at Henderson apartment

A man was taken to a hospital with smoke inhalation after an unattended candle started a fire at a Henderson apartment, according to the city fire department.

Firefighters were dispatched about 3:30 a.m. Saturday to the Elysian at the District, 2151 Village Walk Drive, for a water flow alarm, the Henderson Fire Department reported.

They found a man outside the building suffering smoke inhalation. He was treated at the scene before being taken to University Medical Center, officials said.

Firefighters also discovered an unresponsive cat and resuscitated it, officials said.

The fire, which did about $6,000 damage, started in a top-floor unit of the three-story building, officials said. A fire sprinkler system helped prevent it from spreading before firefighters put out the blaze, officials said.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental due to an unattended candle, officials said.

The American Red Cross assisted five people and five pets displaced by the fire.