Las Vegas Sun

July 23, 2019

Currently: 93° — Complete forecast

Police: Lawyer had stashed phone of woman killed by gang in ‘snitch’ case

After a Metro Police informant was gravely injured in an April attack allegedly coordinated by a gang that saw her as a “snitch,” investigators found that her phone had gone missing.

But Bailey Kay Beck’s cracked-screen, black cellphone recently turned up, and it led to the arrest of a Las Vegas attorney, who is accused of accessory to murder, according to a Metro arrest report.

William Gamage, 51, who in May was suspended from practicing law by the Nevada Bar for unrelated reasons, hid the phone despite knowing it was important to the homicide investigation, police allege.

An unrelated felony theft investigation landed Gamage in jail on July 2, Las Vegas Justice Court records show. The next day, he was booked on one count of harbor, conceal or aid felony offender in connection to Beck’s April 8 death.

His ex-wife, lawyer Amy Gamage, who records show was also suspended by the bar, is wanted in the same unrelated theft case, court records show. Further details on those allegations were not available.

It wasn’t immediately clear how Gamage ended up with the phone or how investigators were led to him, but in early May he was questioned by Metro detectives about the device. He denied possessing it or knowing anything about it, police said. However, it turned up tucked in a tote during a search at a storage unit registered to his name.

In a call from jail after a search warrant had been served, he “appeared particularly interested” in the phone, police said.

Caught by Metro in March during a drug investigation, Beck agreed to become an informant. And her experience as a drug runner for an Asian criminal organization and a white supremacist gang proved useful, police said.

During a party attended by gang members sometime before her death, Beck told her handler that she was approached by someone who told her there were rumblings about her possibly being an informant, or a “snitch,” and that her life could be in danger, police said. She apparently brushed off the interaction.

On April 6, Beck was visited by several men who’d planned to inject her with drugs to get her to talk about the rumor of her collaboration with police. Detectives later arrested Christopher Weygant, 31, and accused him of being one of those suspects.

Beck was found two days later and had died that day, police said. Her official cause of death was trauma to the head, but investigators also found injection marks on her body.