Las Vegas Sun

April 25, 2019

Currently: 72° — Complete forecast

Video: Police assumed many shooters in Las Vegas massacre

Steve Marcus' 2017 Photos of The Year

Steve Marcus

The “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign is surrounded by flowers and items, left after the Oct. 1 mass shooting, in Las Vegas Monday, Oct. 9, 2017.

More police body camera footage made public today shows officers directing concertgoers to safety and searching for what they thought were multiple shooters inside and outside a Las Vegas Strip hotel where a gunman firing from upper-floor windows killed 58 people and injured hundreds on Oct. 1.

Eight more video recordings, totaling almost eight hours, from the deadliest mass shooting in the nation’s modern history were released by Metro Police under a court order in a public records lawsuit by media including The Associated Press.

One shows officers directing people to evacuate from beneath the main stage of the Route 91 Harvest Festival venue. Two men rush past, carrying an injured woman. Another showed teams with assault rifles ushering people out of concrete flood-control channels.

As with previous records released in batches since May 2, the videos show tension, tenderness, chaos and heartbreak following the shooting. They do not shed new light on a motive.

Police and the FBI have said they believe former accountant and high-stakes gambler Stephen Paddock acted alone to amass an arsenal of weapons in his Mandalay Bay suite before opening fire into the concert crowd below.

Body camera recordings released earlier showed officers using explosives to blast through the door to find Paddock dead on the floor from a self-inflicted gunshot. Assault-style weapons fitted with rapid-fire “bump stock” devices were strewn about in the suite.

Other police records have included witness accounts, audio recordings and snippets of 911 calls and police radio traffic, and hotel, helicopter and streetscape surveillance video from Las Vegas Strip.

Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo has said he expected to update his January preliminary report with a final report by August. Sgt. Jeff Clark, a department spokesman, said Wednesday the report is not yet complete.