Thursday, March 1, 2018 | 12:28 p.m.
RENO — A Nevada school district is speeding up its plans to build single-point entries in its elementary schools in the wake of the mass shooting last month at a Florida high school that killed 17 people.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports the Washoe County School District will create a single locked entry checkpoint at an additional 24 elementary schools around the district.
District Chief Facilities Management Officer Joe Gabica says construction of the safety measures will be complete by 2019, one year earlier than originally anticipated.
Gabica says the district intends to find a way to better secure its high schools. That project likely wouldn't happen until after 2019, when the remaining single point-of-entry projects are completed at elementary schools.