Las Vegas Sun

September 21, 2018

Currently: 76° — Complete forecast

Woman dies after house fire in North Las Vegas

A woman died from injuries suffered in a house fire started by a candle early this morning, according to the North Las Vegas Fire Department.

The fire was reported about 2 a.m. in the 5000 block of Rancho Del Vista Way, just north of Commerce Street and Lone Mountain Road.

When firefighters arrived, the woman, about 55 years old, was standing outside the house with fire-related injures, officials said. She was taken to University Medical Center in critical condition and later succumbed to her injuries, official said.

Nobody else was injured.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim of this tragic fire and her family,” Fire Chief Jo Calhoun said in a statement.

The Clark County Coroner’s Office will release the identity of the victim and notify her family.

It took firefighters about 12 minutes to put out most of the fire.

“This incident has been determined to be an accidental candle fire,” the fire department said in a statement.

Damage was estimated at $100,000.