Saturday, May 19, 2018 | 2 a.m.
Jeri Crawford, Las Vegas Philharmonic
• Title: President and CEO
• Agency address: 1412 S. Jones Blvd. Las Vegas, NV 89146
• Agency phone number: 702-258-5438
• Agency website: lvphil.org
• Hours of operation: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
What is Findlay Good Works?
Good Works is a twice-monthly series in Las Vegas Weekly in which we highlight the efforts of nonprofit groups that are making a difference in our community. You can check out the good work of more organizations by visiting facebook.com/FindlayAutoGroup.
What does your organization do? We are a Professional Symphony Orchestra, a registered 501c3 performing arts organization. We perform music that enriches and educates, helping to build a vibrant, culturally rich community.
When and why was it established? Founded in 1998, by music director and conductor laureate Harold Weller and longtime Las Vegas arts supporters Susan and Andrew Tompkins, the Las Vegas Philharmonic made a bold stake for artistic credibility with its inaugural concert, a performance of Mahler’s Symphony No. 2, “Resurrection” in 1999. The orchestra performed this magnificent work again to a sold-out hall as the resident symphony orchestra for the grand opening of the Smith Center for the Performing Arts in March 2012.
Who are its clients? Our patrons are music lovers of all ages and primarily the residents of Las Vegas and surrounding communities.
What are its current initiatives or goals? The pillars of our mission are music, culture and education.
We perform music in the concert hall to entertain and enrich the community.
Our Youth Concert Series provides music education and a free concert experience for thousands of Clark County School District students each year. To date, we have impacted over 245,000 students through this program.
Our Music Van initiative launched in 2018 and is designed to serve the community in the following way: educational outreach, senior community support and community engagement. As a mobile education and outreach program, Music Van engages the diverse community through customizable programs including:
• Classroom music support programs using specially designed musical instruments for young children
• Instrument demonstrations, chamber music programs and composition programs for students in middle and upper grades.
• Music performances and music therapy experiences for older communities and individuals.
• Community events featuring opportunities to play different instruments, jam with Philharmonic musicians and create music with family and friends.
We are actively fundraising to sustain and expand all of our community outreach initiatives.
What services might the community not know about? In addition to performing concerts, we devote a lot of time and resources to bringing music and education into the community outside the concert hall.
What sparked your interest in the nonprofit sector? As a child, my parents placed a lot of importance on art and culture, and making sure I was not only exposed to it but that it was a consistent part of our life. That appreciation has stayed with me.
What can people do to get involved? Support our programs through corporate and individual donations to continue funding our music education and outreach programs for the community. Buy subscriptions or single tickets to our concerts. It’s important to note that subscriptions and single-ticket sales only cover about 40 percent of the cost to operate and deliver our education and outreach programs and present our concerts. We rely on fundraising to cover the remaining 60 percent and sustain our organization. Donations and sponsorships are integral to our ability to deliver on our mission.
What can Southern Nevadans do to improve our community in general? Support the performing arts so that future generations of Nevadans will have the opportunity to experience art and culture in their own backyard and gain the benefits of that exposure. Place more value on education, including that pertaining to music or art, and support initiatives like our Youth Concert Series or Music Van.
Whom do you admire? I’ve been lucky to have many role models over the course of my personal and professional life. Too many to name just a few.
Where do you see your organization in five years? My 5-year vision will see our education and community outreach programs growing and thriving, impacting more residents of Southern Nevada. I see the Las Vegas Philharmonic as being a driving force in continuing to build a strong and vibrant community.
Anything else you want to tell us? Las Vegas Philharmonic is celebrating our 20th Anniversary season and are marking the important milestone with a July 4 concert designed to celebrate the birthday of the organization along with America’s birthday. It is a tradition we are happy to resurrect and a natural opportunity to celebrate with the many wonderful individuals who are part of our past, present and future.