Las Vegas Sun

January 16, 2019

Currently: 51° — Complete forecast

Electrical wiring blamed for smoldering attic fire

Investigators think electrical wiring started a fire that smoldered for several hours in the attic of a downtown house this morning before it was put out, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials.

The fire was reported about 7:40 a.m. in the 100 block of Palm Lane, just northeast of Bonanza Road and Main Street.

Firefighters discovered light smoke coming from the vents of the single-story, wood-frame house and a smoldering fire in the attic over the living room, officials said. They had the fire out within just a few minutes, officials said.

Two people were displaced, but nobody was injured, officials said. The American Red Cross was assisting the residents.

It appeared the fire had been smoldering for several hours and damaged wood trusses in the attic, officials said. Damage was estimated at $10,000.

The house was built in the early 1940s and it appeared some of the original electrical wiring was still being used, officials said.