He wants to physically secure our borders and coastlines. He wants to enforce visa rules and have immigration officials track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. There should be no amnesty and no welfare for illegal aliens. He wants to end birthright citizenship because as long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. will remain strong. The U.S. should pass true immigration reform. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.
YouTube video: Ron Paul on immigration and borders.
Paul's campaign Web site: The talk must stop. We must secure our borders now. A nation without secure borders is no nation at all. It makes no sense to fight terrorists abroad when our own front door is left unlocked. This is my six point plan:
- Physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigration reform proposals.
- Enforce visa rules. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that a number of 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.
- No amnesty. Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That’s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws.
- No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.
- End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.
- Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.
— Las Vegas Sun intern Jenna Kohler and new media managing editor Dave Toplikar compiled this report.