- The Sun’s July Nine: A look at some of last month’s notorious crimes
- Friday, Aug. 1, 2014
- From deadly fights and deadly home invasions to a hit on a Las Vegas Strip casino, crimes in July kept police hopping throughout the Las Vegas Valley. Here’s a look at some of the headline-grabbing crimes of the month.
- UNLV lecturer has a million reasons why you should like Cappuccino potato chips
- Thursday, July 17, 2014
- Chad Scott, who came to UNLV in January but is still working on his doctorate in sociology at Texas A&M University, is one of four finalists still competing for a $1 million grand prize in …
- New study warns of even hotter summers in Las Vegas, across U.S.
- Tuesday, July 15, 2014
- Think summers in Las Vegas are sweltering now? By the end of the century, they’ll be more like those now experienced in the Arabian Desert if greenhouse gas emissions remain the same, according to a new study. Average summer daytime temperatures here will soar to 111 degrees, which is what summers are like now in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, according to Climate Central, a Princeton, N.J.-based research and journalism organization. Climate Central last week released...
- The Sun’s June Nine: Highlighting last month’s top crimes in Las Vegas
- Tuesday, July 1, 2014
- A midday ambush at a pizza restaurant took the lives of two police officers, and before the event came to an end five people would be dead. Homeless on homeless crime. A mother overtaken by voices and throwing two ...
- With no rain on horizon, Las Vegas flirts with extended dry spell record
- Wednesday, June 25, 2014
- Not since Feb. 28 has measurable precipitation fallen at McCarran International Airport, where the National Weather Service makes its official observations for Las Vegas. Only 13 other ...
- Newest Strip casino SLS Las Vegas moves opening up a week to Aug. 23
- Tuesday, June 17, 2014
- The newest resort on the Las Vegas Strip will open ahead of schedule. Officials with SLS Las Vegas said in a statement today the hotel and casino would open...
- Police say jealous former husband brutally beat woman to death
- Monday, June 16, 2014
- The anonymous call to 911 was ominous: “All right, pay attention: 2606 S. Durango, apartment 873. There’s a (woman) dying. Go help her out. Ain’t no joke.” Metro Police say...
- The D settles with unions; 5 downtown casinos face prospect of strike
- Friday, May 30, 2014
- Negotiators for the Culinary and Bartenders unions and the D Las Vegas reached a tentative agreement on a new five-year contract today, leaving five downtown casinos still facing a strike by union workers this weekend. News of the agreement with the D was announced on the unions' website. The settlement contains the same key elements as earlier announced deals with the...
- Mother charged with shooting son, 11, wanted to take her family to a ‘better place,’ police say
- Wednesday, May 28, 2014
- Shavon Jacklein Carrillo, also known as Shavon Jacklein Aguilar, 31, Las Vegas, told police after the shooting she had attempted suicide shortly after her breakup with …
- Guy Fieri, Caesars team up on restaurants in Laughlin, Atlantic City, Baltimore
- Wednesday, May 28, 2014
- After last month’s opening of Guy Fieri’s Vegas Kitchen & Bar at the Quad, the Food Network celebrity’s relationship with Caesars Entertainment is …
Copy Desk Chief
Email » | 702-259-4186
John, who supervises the reporters covering community news, education and crime, grew up in a family of eight and now is married with two children. A graduate of the University of Kansas, Taylor has spent more than 25 years in journalism. He half-way followed a path blazed by his grandfather, who in the early 1900s ran both a Polish-American newspaper and a tavern.
- Locally owned and independent since 1950; Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, best news website in the nation & DuPont Award for broadcast journalism
© Las Vegas Sun, 2019, All Rights Reserved
Las Vegas Sun 2275 Corporate Circle, Ste. 300 Henderson, NV 89074