Las Vegas Sun

February 22, 2017

Currently: 61° — Complete forecast

User profile
Bill_Gordon

Name
William Gordon
Joined
May 21, 2012

Contact Bill_Gordon (log-in required)

Recent Comments

Total Comments: 149 (view all)

"The department responded to 97,225 fire, medical and hazardous-materials incidents in 2012."

coupled with the fact "Total fire responses: 2,056"

"741 fires in houses, apartments, condos, hotels or other residences"

"154 fires in retail, office, storage and other commercial or public buildings"

"1,161 fires in vehicles, brush and dumpsters, and all other fires"

Paints a much different picture. Out of 97,225 dispatches only 1,161 were for fires. I highlight this because the medical dispatches are redundant and not needed because the private EMT/Ambulance is also dispatched. Taxpayers could save a lot of money by stopping this waste.

(Suggest removal) 4/8/13 at 8:24 a.m.

Also, as I've stated on other stories on this issue...if you are part of the 3% recycling you are not getting a cut in service. If you are part of the 97% currently not recycling your service is cut in half. The proposed plan calls for 2 pickups per week, BUT 1 for regular trash and 1 for sorted recyclables only.

(Suggest removal) 2/17/13 at 10:13 a.m.

The only proof of cost/benefit I need is the dismal participation rate in the pilot program at a very high cost to implement. We could get much higher recovery with an industrial sorter (watch the video I linked to earlier http://www.krausemanufacturing.com/video... ) that could pay for itself with the selling of the recyclables.

(Suggest removal) 2/17/13 at 10:09 a.m.

Who was whining when the county rejected single-stream for 10 years?

Currently only 3% participate in the red/white/blue bin recycling program. With single-stream pilot programs only 30% participated. Leaving the majority, 70%, not wanting this for various reasons. See http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/oct...

For those not recycling, we will have our service cut in half and pay the same rates. Republic Services states it will cost 150 million for new trucks and new bin for all households. ALL for a 30% participation rate.

If the goal was truly to increase recycling...they would install industrial sorters that recover 75-80% of recyclable material at the intake for about the same 150 million. See http://www.krausemanufacturing.com/video...

If these commenters truly were about saving the planet and increasing recycling they would agree with me...but they are not.

(Suggest removal) 2/17/13 at 7:50 a.m.

The cannibalization by Republicans is becoming frightening. Any Republican, who dares to do what the American people are demanding"WORK TOGETHER AND COMPROMISE"becomes the enemy within their own party. They seem completely out of touch with reality. If Hagel is not fit to serve as Secretary of Defense, then he wasn't fit to serve as a Republican Senator either.

(Suggest removal) 2/15/13 at 1:09 p.m.

(view all 149)

Items submitted by Bill_Gordon

  • Photos
  • Videos
  • Stories/Blogs

Bill_Gordon has not submitted any photos to Las Vegas Sun

Bill_Gordon has not submitted any videos to Las Vegas Sun

Bill_Gordon has not submitted any stories to Las Vegas Sun