Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014 | 10:35 p.m.
The good news is that superstar singer Celine Dion has told Caesars Entertainment officials she will definitely be returning to the Colosseum to resume her residency shows. The bad news is that we don’t know yet if she’ll be back before March 22.
Caesars execs received the official word Tuesday, and I heard that they breathed a collective sigh of relief. “The pressure is off in trying to find replacement artists for her,” I was told reliably. Celine had postponed all of her showbiz activities indefinitely in order to focus 100 percent on her vocal chord illness and her husband Rene Angelil’s battle with throat cancer.
In December, he underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor, and the couple has remained home in Lake Las Vegas raising their three children while dealing with the stress and difficulties of the day-to-day challenges of fighting the ailments.
I was told that the five-time Grammy Award winner and bestselling female artist in history said, “I’m getting ready to come back to work. I want to. I’m prepared to restart the show and work again.” I also was told that Rene has been making “good progress” with his cancer recovery.
Now AEG and Caesars Entertainment producers will start planning sessions to launch her second residency all over again with the full orchestra of 31 musicians and other performers who have been waiting for the good news.
As soon as we learn of her new start date and welcome-back festivities, we will let you know. We all wish Rene and Celine well in their medical battles and hope that she will be back at Caesars next year.
Meantime, Sir Elton John, who has added extra dates at Caesars during Celine’s absence, underwent a knee operation last week.
And the rumors of Jennifer Lopez and Kanye West receiving mega-million contract offers are apparently baseless. “They’re just rumors,” I was reliably told. ”There are no mega-bucks offers or contracts in the works.”
“I think a lot of the rumors were started just to see what might stick to the walls and start possible negotiations. But these two were simply rumors. The fact that Celine has said she’s definitely returning now takes a lot of pressure off the situation as nobody knew what plans had to be made.”
Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.
Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.
Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.
Follow Sun A&E Senior Editor Don Chareunsy on Twitter at Twitter.com/VDLXEditorDon.
Transport yourself to the opulent and excessive Roman Empire at Caesars Palace. But the ever-changing Caesars Palace is far from ancient. The hotel and casino is constantly raising the bar for what visitors can expect in a Vegas resort experience.
Caesars Palace features 3,348 rooms and suites in five towers, including the new luxury boutique Nobu Hotel and Restaurant, which opened Feb. 4, 2013, in the totally remodeled Centurian Tower. Caesars features 129,000 square feet of gaming space, including the Strip’s largest poker room and a 250-seat sports book. Other amenities include about two dozen restaurants, a four-level shopping mall, four pools, a spa, Pure and Poetry nightclubs and Pussycat Dolls.
Dining options include restaurants from world-renown chefs Guy Savoy, Wolfgang Puck, Bobby Flay, Gordon Ramsay and, on Feb. 4, 2013, Nobu Matsuhisa.
You never know what characters you’ll run into at Caesars with regular performers like Jerry Seinfeld, Bette Midler, Elton John and maybe even the emperor himself.