Published Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2009 | 10:45 a.m.
Updated Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2009 | 5:20 p.m.
- Hearing delayed for teens accused in choir teacher’s death (1-26-2009)
- Teens charged in teacher’s death appear in court (1-8-2009)
- Tears, emotions flow at memorial for Basic High teacher (1-8-2009)
- Teen arrested in teacher’s death to be tried as an adult (1-7-2008)
- Students sing in memory of slain choir teacher (1-7-2008)
- Hearing for man accused of killing choir teacher delayed (1-6-2009)
- Basic High students return to classes, subdued, after teacher’s slaying (1-5-2009)
- Brothers arrested in death of high school teacher (12-24-2008)
- Man found dead in Henderson home (12-23-2008)
The two teenagers accused of killing Basic High School teacher Matthew Cox were indicted today following a grand jury hearing at District Court.
Prosecutors decided to present their evidence before a grand jury rather than at a preliminary hearing, which was scheduled for this morning, but was canceled.
Jose Delatorre, 18, and Juan Aguirre, 17, each face six charges in the indictments including murder, robbery, burglary and kidnapping in the death of Basic High School choir teacher Matthew Cox on Dec. 22. Both were arrested by Henderson Police on Dec. 23, and Aguirre is being tried as an adult.
The case was moved from Henderson Justice Court to Clark County District Court, said Andrea Luem, Delatorre’s attorney.
During a grand jury hearing, which is closed to the public, only the judge, grand jurors, prosecutors and prosecution witnesses can be present, she said.
“The District Attorney always has the choice of proceeding by way of preliminary hearing or grand jury indictment,” Luem said. “Sometimes, there are things they don’t want the public to know about.”
The arraignment for Delatorre and Aguirre is at 1:30 p.m. on Feb. 18 at District Court, at which time both defendants will plead not guilty, Luem said.
Prosecutors could not be reached for comment regarding the indictment.
Jeff O’Brien can be reached at 990-8957 or firstname.lastname@example.org.