Las Vegas Sun

November 25, 2015

Currently: 57° — Complete forecast

Three people injured in house fire

House fire

Three people were injured in a Las Vegas house fire Friday that caused $80,000 in damage, fire officials said.

Tim Szymanski, spokesman for Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, said firefighters responded to the single-story house fire about 10:30 a.m. in the 5800 block of Edrene Avenue, near Jones Boulevard and Vegas Drive.

He said a woman was cooking in the house with her toddler granddaughter when the fire started on the kitchen stove. The woman heard popping noises coming from a pan and saw that it was on fire, Szymanski said.

Szymanski said the house filled with smoke as the woman tried to escape with her granddaughter. Two other family members came home, saw the smoke and helped the two out of the house, he said.

The woman suffered second-degree burns to her hands, arms, face and a leg, and the toddler suffered smoke inhalation. Both were taken to University Medical Center.

A man received a minor burn to one of his hands and refused to go to the hospital, firefighters said. A dog was also killed in the fire.

Szymanski said the inside of the house was destroyed and almost all of the contents were lost in the blaze.

Firefighters said the fire was started by cooking material on the stove and ruled it accidental. The family was receiving assistance from the American Red Cross and the Las Vegas Fire and Rescue Foundation.

Cooking is the leading cause of fires in the United States and in Las Vegas, authorities said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy