Las Vegas Sun

May 22, 2015

Currently: 67° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Battery charges dismissed against former secretary of state candidate

A former Republican candidate for secretary of state, accused of battery at a fundraising event last year, has had the charges dismissed by a Las Vegas justice of the peace.

Rob Lauer, of Las Vegas, was accused of assaulting a supporter at a Republican fundraiser at a gathering on June 4, 2010.

Lauer insisted that he and Jennifer Von Tobel were kidding around and he was showing her self-defense moves at Stoney's Bar on Las Vegas Boulevard. But the accusation and misdemeanor charge derailed Lauer's campaign and incumbent Democratic Secretary of State Ross Miller easily won reelection.

Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melanie Andress-Tobiasson dismissed the charges against Lauer last week, after hearing from both the deputy district attorney and Lauer's defense, according to a court documents.

Lauer said in a statement, "This was a female judge who found me not guilty after hearing all the testimony from Mrs. Von Tobel, witnesses and me. All the witnesses stated both Mrs Von Tobel and I were 'laughing' and appeared to be friends throughout the alleged incident." He said he was preparing legal action against Mrs. Von Tobel for "slanderous and libelous comments she made to numerous witnesses after the incident."

Von Tobel, also in a statement, said, "It is unfortunate that Mr. Lauer got away with assaulting me. I hope he learned a lesson from this, that not everyone appreciates his version of 'fooling around' and that NO means NO."

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy