Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2012 | 1:57 p.m.
As of early afternoon, it appears as if voting for today’s recall election for the Ward 6 seat on the Las Vegas City Council is on track for a 10 percent turnout.
“It’s been steady, but not busy,” said Larry Lomax, Clark County registrar of voters.
As of about 1:35 p.m., 1,375 people had voted at the three voting centers set up in the race, which features incumbent Steve Ross and city planning commissioner Byron Goynes. Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Today’s voters, combined with those who voted early last Thursday and Friday, put the combined total at 4,289.
Lomax predicted the day might finish out with a turnout of between 5,000 to 6,000 voters. He said all the votes will probably be counted by 8 p.m.
The election is open to registered voters in Ward 6 (see map) at the following location:
• A trailer in the Centennial Plaza shopping center at Centennial Center and Tropical Parkway,
• Room 4 at the Centennial Hills Community Center, 6601 N. Buffalo Drive at Deer Springs Way.
• Alberstons grocery store, 4850 Craig Road at Decatur Boulevard.
The election was forced by Committee to Recall Steve Ross, which has been pushed by Joe Scala, a a car dealer who was denied a waiver to continue operating a dealership in Centennial Hills, which is in Ross’ ward.
Ballots feature the names of both Ross, who was last elected in 2009, and Goynes, who is a longtime member of the Las Vegas Planning Commission.
Goynes ran for the same seat in 2005 and finished in third place.
Ross won a second four-year term to represent Ward 6 in 2009 with 54.8 percent of the vote against his challenger, attorney Jennifer Taylor.
Ross ran for mayor earlier this year, but after finishing in fifth place in the primary , he endorsed Carolyn Goodman, who won the seat.
- Official: Ward 6 recall race for Steve Ross could have light turnout (1-30-2012)
- Early voting begins in election to recall Las Vegas City Councilman Steve Ross (1-26-2012)
- Ward 6 challenger charges Steve Ross put out 'deceptive statement,' Ross fires back (1-25-2012)
- Steve Ross says Ward 6 challenger failed to file financial disclosure statement (1-24-2012)
- Official: Challenger’s signatures check out in Las Vegas recall election for Steve Ross (1-13-2012)
- Las Vegas Ward 6 recall race already under way, despite technicality (1-12-2012)