Las Vegas Sun

November 24, 2015

Currently: 74° — Complete forecast

Woman on oxygen suffers burn while smoking in bed


A woman on an oxygen tank and smoking in bed was burned Saturday morning, fire officials said.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue crews were sent about 11:40 a.m. to a home on the 700 block of Mayfield Street, near Washington Avenue and Decatur Boulevard, said Tim Szymanski, spokesman for the fire department.

Szymanski said the woman, who was on a medical oxygen tank, was transported to a hospital with a minor first-degree burn after lighting a cigarette in her bed, he said.

It appears the woman had oxygen on her clothes and skin that helped fuel a small fire, Szymanski said. Her husband lying next to her called to report the incident.

“If you’re on medical oxygen you just don’t smoke, period,” Szymanski said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy