Las Vegas Sun

August 27, 2015

Currently: 93° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Firefly on Paradise shut down after diners report illness

Image

Sam Morris

Firefly Tapas Kitchen & Bar on Paradise Road sits closed Tuesday, April 30, 2013.

Updated Monday, April 29, 2013 | 4:15 p.m.

Firefly On Paradise

Launch slideshow »

One of the most popular restaurants in Las Vegas has been closed after more than 30 patrons reported food poisoning symptoms.

Southern Nevada Health District officials say the Firefly restaurant on Paradise Road was shuttered Friday and remains closed while health officials try to determine the source of the outbreak.

“I was shocked and frightened,” said owner John Simmons, who opened the business a decade ago. “This has never happened to me before.”

Health district official Stephanie Bethel said more than 30 people who visited the tapas restaurant last week reported symptoms, and 10 said they sought medical attention. Symptoms included diarrhea and vomiting.

Simmons said he had been aware of only one sick patron, who called the restaurant to report a sickness.

Firefly cannot reopen until it passes a health inspection and owners meet with health supervisors to discuss the issues that caused patrons to get sick. Bethel could not say when the health district will inspect the restaurant.

It is unclear what food or foods caused the illnesses.

Firefly is a block from the Strip and is one of Las Vegas' most commonly reviewed and highest rated restaurants on the website Yelp.com. Health district official Amy Irani said Firefly had an "A" grade from the health department before the apparent outbreak.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy