Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013 | 3:40 p.m.
At least 40 people witnessed the shooting that killed 14-year-old Haji Mohamud after a party Saturday morning, but not one has stepped forward with information, Metro Police said.
During a press conference Wednesday, Metro Police Lt. Ray Steiber pleaded for a parent, a party-goer, anybody with information about the shooting at the Sage Point apartment complex to contact police.
“There are people out there — who were there — that know exactly what happened...and who killed a 14-year-old boy,” Steiber said. “There’s parents out there who may have overheard their children talking about what occurred that night...We’re asking for anybody with information to come forward and help your community.”
After interviewing witnesses, all police were able to find out was that Mohamud and about 100 other people were attending a birthday party they had been invited to via social media. Some of the attendees were known to be gang members, Steiber said.
At about 1:30 a.m., the party became rowdy and the host asked everyone to leave, Steiber said. When the guests stepped outside, they were met with a spray of bullets.
Twenty shots were fired; one struck Mohamud in the head, and a second injured an 18-year-old man, police said.
Steiber said investigation revealed there were possibly three shooters, but police have no information about who the shooters might be.
“I think there is information being withheld,” Steiber said. “It’s hard for me to believe that over 40 people were there — and at one point over 100 — but nobody saw anything.”
Police urge anyone with information regarding the incident to contact Crime Stoppers at 385-5555 or online at crimestoppersofnv.com.