Las Vegas Sun

September 22, 2014

Currently: 82° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Faulty AC/heater unit sparks apartment fire

One person was displaced Wednesday morning after a faulty air conditioner and heater unit sparked a fire inside an apartment at Rancho Verde Apartments, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

The fire was reported about 3:30 a.m. at a two-story, wood-frame apartment building at 98 S. Martin Luther King Boulevard, near U.S. 95. Firefighters arrived to find smoke rising from the building and evacuated the apartments, Szymanski said.

They targeted the fire in the ceiling of the main hallway and extinguished it less than five minutes later, he said. The fire caused about $40,000 damage and was confined to one downstairs unit, Szymanski said.

Firefighters determined the fire was started by an electrical or mechanical failure in the air conditioner and heater unit.

The occupant will be moved into a new apartment, Szymanski said. No one was injured in the fire.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy