Las Vegas Sun

December 21, 2014

Currently: 44° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Firefighters pull man from smoke-filled apartment

Firefighters searching a house converted into apartments discovered a man in a smoke-filled room after a water heater caught fire, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials said.

Fire crews responded at 8:27 p.m. Sunday to the fire at the single-story home divided into apartments at 4301 Cory Place, near Arville Street and Charleston Boulevard. Light smoke and flames were coming from the house, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

When they searched the units, firefighters discovered a man in a smoke-filled room, Szymanski said. Firefighters helped him outside, and he was transported to a hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation, he said.

No one else was injured in the fire.

Firefighters put out the fire in less than 10 minutes and confined it to a utility room and attic, Szymanski said. The blaze caused an estimated $50,000 damage, he said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy