Las Vegas Sun

November 1, 2014

Currently: 65° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Pet dog killed, three displaced after house fire

House fire

A pet dog was killed and three people were displaced after a house fire this afternoon.

Flames erupted shortly before 1 p.m. at the home near Honolulu Street and East Charleston Boulevard, just east of U.S. 95, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

Though firefighters brought the fire under control in less than 10 minutes, the dog was unable to escape in time. There were no people inside.

Damage was estimated at $150,000 — the blaze brought down the home’s roof and gutted its kitchen and attic. The rest of the house was heavily damaged by smoke.

The family of three told investigators that they left the house that morning after using their propane stove to cook breakfast. Fire officials believe flames spread from the stove to cabinets above and eventually throughout the home.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy