Thursday, July 10, 2014 | 2 a.m.
Given that this week's showers marked the first rain in the valley in 125 days, it makes sense that Las Vegans have had a strong reaction to the wet weather. Still, it's a little silly just how predictable we become the moment the sky opens up. Here are seven things that always happen in Las Vegas when it rains.
1. No one knows how to drive.
This one goes without saying. In other places, it rains often enough that drivers learn to adjust: They drive slower, leave more space for the car in front of them and avoid flooded areas. The moment the rain starts in Las Vegas, everyone rushes to get home and ends up crawling out the window of their submerged sedans.
2. Everyone runs to Twitter and Facebook to report the rain like it's never happened before.
All of a sudden, #Vegasrain and #raininginvegas are trending on your Twitter feed.
3. People avoid going outside because of the "flood" in their driveway.
And by flood, they mean the 2 inches of water that has built up between the sidewalk curb and the street.
4. Every girl takes a picture dancing in the rain because this only happens every six months and makes for the perfect rain selfie opportunity.
5. Locals love the lower temperatures ...
... but hate the humidity.
6. Everyone walks around with slightly damp hair and clothes because no one owns an umbrella.
And really, given it was more than 125 days since the last rain, buying an umbrella doesn't seem like the best investment.
7. No one knows how to drive in the rain.
Did I already mention that?
Think we’ll see even more showers this week? Check out our weather forecast.