Las Vegas Sun

November 22, 2014

Currently: 61° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

6 people suffer smoke inhalation in house fire

Image

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue

In an image captured from a Las Vegas Fire & Rescue video, firefighters work in the aftermath of a fire that started about 5 a.m. Friday, June 6, 2014, in a house in the 1900 block of Wengert Avenue. Officials said six people were taken to University Medical Center with smoke inhalation.

Updated Friday, June 6, 2014 | 10:17 a.m.

Six people suffered smoke inhalation today in an electrical fire that started near the air conditioning unit of a house in the 1900 block of Wengert Avenue, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials said.

The fire started about 5 a.m. in the attic of the house near East Charleston Boulevard and South Eastern Avenue, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

The one-story home filled with smoke, he said. There were no smoke detectors, and a neighbor knocked on the door, alerting the family to the blaze, Szymanski said.

All five people living in the house were taken to University Medical Center with smoke inhalation, and one person suffered cuts from broken window glass, Szymanski said.

The neighbor who aided the family also was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, he said.

The fire, believed to be electrical in nature, did an estimated $120,000 damage, Szymanski said.

The family could not immediately return to the house, and the American Red Cross was assisting them.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy