Las Vegas Sun

July 31, 2014

Currently: 106° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Fire causes $40,000 in damage to Peccole Ranch home

One person and a dog have been displaced after a fire did moderate damage to a home at Peccole Ranch Tuesday afternoon.

Only the dog was home when the fire started in what investigators believe was the column just outside the front door, according to a statement from Las Vegas Fire & Rescue. No injuries were reported.

Clark County and Las Vegas firefighters arrived at the two-story house near Red Hills and Fort Apache roads at 4:12 p.m. after receiving calls from neighbors who had seen smoke coming from the home. The fire was quickly brought under control, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue, and the damage is estimated at $40,000.

Firefighters have not determined the exact cause of the fire, but believe it was most likely caused by a discarded cigarette or nearby landscaping mulch that smoldered in dry conditions. Both were found at the scene by firefighters.

Columns like the one that caught fire are a common feature of Las Vegas houses, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue said, and are made out primarily of wood.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy