Wednesday, May 21, 2014 | 5:10 p.m.
The World Food Championships announced today it will be taking over the Fremont Street Experience this fall for the second year in a row.
More than 500 culinary competitors will vie for cash prizes from Nov. 12-18, according to a press release by Trybe Targeting.
The epicurean battles will be based on nine categories — barbecue, chili, burger, sandwich, recipe, dessert, bacon, pasta and seafood — the release said.
"Las Vegas is an excellent location to host the World Food Championships," said Mike McCloud, president of the World Food Championships in a statement. "We have found the opportunities available, specifically in downtown Las Vegas, to be beneficial in helping us build our event into the multi-day culinary festival and spectacle it has become."
Last year's competition is the subject of a six-episode reality series called "The World Food Championships" that is set to air on A+E Networks' new FYI Network this summer, the release said.