- Analysis: UFC takes big hit with Jose Aldo’s exit from Conor McGregor fight
- Thursday, July 2, 2015
- No one outside of the UFC offices will know how much money was lost with Tuesday’s news that a rib injury forced Jose Aldo of the weekend’s headlining event ...
- Introducing the reset Vegas Play of the Day with Rangers at Orioles
- Wednesday, July 1, 2015
- Falling between June’s NBA Finals and August’s start to the football betting season, July comes in as a month of flux for local sports books.
From now on, it’s going to be the same way for our Play of the Day column. ...
- Ohio State or TCU? Odds say it’s close race for college football’s best team
- Wednesday, July 1, 2015
- End the debate on which team should go into the college football season ranked second behind defending national champion Ohio State.
There is no such dispute for the only sports book that’s already posted lines on the games. ....
- Jose Aldo pulls out of UFC 189; Conor McGregor now faces Chad Mendes
- Tuesday, June 30, 2015
- The UFC officially has lost what it had hailed as the biggest fight of the year. Featherweight champion Jose Aldo will be unable to fight in his scheduled title defense against ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Arizona Diamondbacks at San Diego Padres
- Saturday, June 27, 2015
- Drawing team names out of a hat is a better betting strategy than following my baseball picks on the South Point-lined Play of the Day. ...
- Jessie Vargas at ease heading into big fight with Timothy Bradley
- Saturday, June 27, 2015
- Reality rarely replicates the specifics of a dream, a long-standing lesson that Jessie Vargas has learned over the couple months.
The 26-year-old local is in the position he always wanted tonight, fighting Timothy Bradley (31-1-1, 12 KOs) for the interim WBO welterweight title. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Saint Louis Cardinals at Miami Marlins
- Thursday, June 25, 2015
- Like the first track on Tom Petty’s “Full Moon Fever,” I’m free-fallin’. ...
- NHL opens door for Las Vegas to apply for expansion team
- Wednesday, June 24, 2015
- The odds of Las Vegas landing an NHL expansion franchise for the 2017-2018 season continue to increase. The NHL Board of Governors formally agreed to begin accepting expansion-franchise applications in a meeting Wednesday at ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Arizona Diamondbacks at Colorado Rockies
- Tuesday, June 23, 2015
- Baseball has terrorized the South Point-lined Play of the Day. Trouble on the bases has pulled down each of our $10,000 starting bankrolls. ...
- Shawn Porter calls out Floyd Mayweather after easily taking down Adrien Broner
- Saturday, June 20, 2015
- Shawn Porter lived out a few universal fantasies Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Not only did the 27-year-old boxer who recently moved to Las Vegas earn a seven-figure paycheck by dismantling a tormentor in Adrien Broner, he ...
- Vegas-style college football preview: Pac-12 at the sports book
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
- When the Pac-10 extended hastily accepted invitations to Utah and Colorado for the 2011 college football season, many hailed it as the dawning of the age of “super conferences.”
- Vegas-style college football preview: Mountain West at the sports books
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- The never-ending footrace between Boise State and bookmakers may feature a new leader for the first time in nearly two decades.
The popular narrative of non-BCS conference Boise State baffling the country with its run of sustained success once rang truest in Las Vegas.
- Photos: WSOP November Nine Final Table set with J.C. Tran leading
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
- The group that played their way into the last session of poker’s $10,000 buy-in world championship early today at The Rio includes two former bracelet ...
- Sports books favor Heat to win next year's NBA title but Clippers moving up
- Monday, June 24, 2013
- The Miami Heat’s championship parade drew to a close Monday in a fashion typical for these types of celebrations — with talk of next season.
The back-to-back NBA champions fielded questions about potentially pulling off the first three-peat in more than a decade next season. Las Vegas has answers, or at least valuable insight into the likelihood of it happening.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports book facts and figures on Heat comeback, Game 7
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- The dramatic finish in Game 6 of the NBA Finals caused at least three different groups of people spread throughout the country in separate time zones to look foolish.
There were, of course, the much-ridiculed Miami fans who fled the American Airlines Arena exits early before their Heat sparked to win 103-100 in overtime. San Antonio supporters who flooded the Riverwalk anticipating a celebration before their Spurs dulled took their barbs, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Heat victory tonight could mean big business to sports books
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Tonight marks the closest equivalent to Groundhog Day for local sports books. If the Miami Heat win to extend the NBA Finals to a Game 7, brightness in the form of money gets one last hurrah. Dim the lights around betting windows, though, if they lose.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports books took hit on Heat; zig-zag calls for Spurs tonight
- Sunday, June 16, 2013
- Sports book directors may have flopped to the floor harder than Chris Bosh as game four of the NBA Finals wound down.
Unlike the minor contact Tim Duncan made with Bosh, the Miami Heat actually inflicted pain on bookmakers. They cost Las Vegas books far more than the $5,000 the NBA fined Bosh for his embellishment, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs a small favorite over Heat in series and Game 4
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Don’t make the same mistake some analysts made Tuesday night. Don’t pen the Miami Heat’s eulogy yet.
Despite an embarrassing 113-77 loss to San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, Miami is a victory Thursday night away from regaining its status as the favorite in the series, according to Las Vegas odds.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: What the odds say about home court format for Heat, Spurs
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- LeBron James has experienced both the supposed greatest benefit and biggest drawback to the NBA Finals’ 2-3-2 home court format over the past couple of years.
The Heat are now minus-175 (risking $1.75 to win $1) to win the series with the Spurs coming back at plus-155 (risking $1 to win $1.55).
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs now favored in series but history on Heat's side in game two
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fans in San Antonio might as well crank Rihanna’s breakthrough single “Umbrella” and dust off those black and silver Robert Horry jerseys.
They should party like it’s June 2007, and not just because their Spurs are back in the NBA Finals for the first time since suppressing this very King (James) six years ago.