- Cormier has business before Jones rematch despite callout
- Sunday, May 24, 2015
- In the shadow of the brightest moment of his career, the newest UFC champion came close to recreating one of his darkest scenes.
Daniel Cormier nearly got into a second press conference brawl Saturday night at the MGM Grand after he defeated Anthony Johnson via third-round submission to win the vacant light heavyweight title at UFC 187. ...
- UFC 187 blog: Daniel Cormier, Chris Weidman wrestle way to championships
- Saturday, May 23, 2015
- The two title fights headlining UFC 187 were won by world-class wrestlers, and in similar fashion no less. Light heavyweight Daniel Cormier and middleweight Chris Weidman walked away with the belts after smothering Anthony Johnson and Vitor Belfort, respectively. ....
- UFC 187 weigh-in: Chris Weidman fumes, Daniel Cormier speaks out at testy event
- Friday, May 22, 2015
- If UFC 187 fighters release their fists as freely as they did their mouths this afternoon, then the annual Memorial Day pay-per-view card should easily surpass its considerable expectations. Friday’s weigh-in at the Grand Ballroom in the MGM's convention center was among the most contentious in ...
- UFC 187 title hopefuls Belfort, Johnson form alliance after fierce fight
- Friday, May 22, 2015
- Before Vitor Belfort made the final decision to relocate from Las Vegas to South Florida to join the Blackzilians three years ago, he probed into how the fledgling fight team would ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Houston Rockets at Golden State Warriors
- Thursday, May 21, 2015
- Yesterday was a cold day in this space. ...
- UFC 187 breakdown, picks and betting odds
- Thursday, May 21, 2015
- The probability of Anthony Johnson winning the UFC light heavyweight championship more than doubled after Jon Jones’ arrest, according to odds in local sports books. ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Cleveland Cavaliers at Atlanta Hawks
- Wednesday, May 20, 2015
- The Play of the Day, which uses odds from the South Point and started with $10,000 bankrolls, cashed on the first game of the western conference finals yesterday. ...
- Analysis: Jon Jones inevitably casts a long shadow over UFC 187 main event
- Tuesday, May 19, 2015
- For the past several years, the Jon Jones narrative rightfully asserted that the only person who could beat him was himself.
Jones succumbed to his internal struggle last month when he was arrested by the Albuquerque Police Department in connection with a felony hit-and-run that left a pregnant woman with ...
- Some of UFC’s greatest fights in Las Vegas history
- Sunday, May 17, 2015
- Four of the eight men’s division championships in the UFC will be at risk over the next six weeks locally, starting with two of the historic glamour classes Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Tampa Bay Lightning at New York Rangers
- Saturday, May 16, 2015
- The pair of NHL conference finals are as close as they come, according to sports books’ odds. ...
- Vegas-style college football preview: Pac-12 at the sports book
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
- When the Pac-10 extended hastily accepted invitations to Utah and Colorado for the 2011 college football season, many hailed it as the dawning of the age of “super conferences.”
- Vegas-style college football preview: Mountain West at the sports books
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- The never-ending footrace between Boise State and bookmakers may feature a new leader for the first time in nearly two decades.
The popular narrative of non-BCS conference Boise State baffling the country with its run of sustained success once rang truest in Las Vegas.
- Photos: WSOP November Nine Final Table set with J.C. Tran leading
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
- The group that played their way into the last session of poker’s $10,000 buy-in world championship early today at The Rio includes two former bracelet ...
- Sports books favor Heat to win next year's NBA title but Clippers moving up
- Monday, June 24, 2013
- The Miami Heat’s championship parade drew to a close Monday in a fashion typical for these types of celebrations — with talk of next season.
The back-to-back NBA champions fielded questions about potentially pulling off the first three-peat in more than a decade next season. Las Vegas has answers, or at least valuable insight into the likelihood of it happening.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports book facts and figures on Heat comeback, Game 7
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- The dramatic finish in Game 6 of the NBA Finals caused at least three different groups of people spread throughout the country in separate time zones to look foolish.
There were, of course, the much-ridiculed Miami fans who fled the American Airlines Arena exits early before their Heat sparked to win 103-100 in overtime. San Antonio supporters who flooded the Riverwalk anticipating a celebration before their Spurs dulled took their barbs, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Heat victory tonight could mean big business to sports books
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Tonight marks the closest equivalent to Groundhog Day for local sports books. If the Miami Heat win to extend the NBA Finals to a Game 7, brightness in the form of money gets one last hurrah. Dim the lights around betting windows, though, if they lose.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports books took hit on Heat; zig-zag calls for Spurs tonight
- Sunday, June 16, 2013
- Sports book directors may have flopped to the floor harder than Chris Bosh as game four of the NBA Finals wound down.
Unlike the minor contact Tim Duncan made with Bosh, the Miami Heat actually inflicted pain on bookmakers. They cost Las Vegas books far more than the $5,000 the NBA fined Bosh for his embellishment, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs a small favorite over Heat in series and Game 4
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Don’t make the same mistake some analysts made Tuesday night. Don’t pen the Miami Heat’s eulogy yet.
Despite an embarrassing 113-77 loss to San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, Miami is a victory Thursday night away from regaining its status as the favorite in the series, according to Las Vegas odds.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: What the odds say about home court format for Heat, Spurs
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- LeBron James has experienced both the supposed greatest benefit and biggest drawback to the NBA Finals’ 2-3-2 home court format over the past couple of years.
The Heat are now minus-175 (risking $1.75 to win $1) to win the series with the Spurs coming back at plus-155 (risking $1 to win $1.55).
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs now favored in series but history on Heat's side in game two
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fans in San Antonio might as well crank Rihanna’s breakthrough single “Umbrella” and dust off those black and silver Robert Horry jerseys.
They should party like it’s June 2007, and not just because their Spurs are back in the NBA Finals for the first time since suppressing this very King (James) six years ago.