Deputy Managing Editor/news
Ellen was born and raised in upstate New York. Her interest in journalism was sparked while a student at Siena College near Albany, N.Y. That was 25 years ago; she has never turned back. Ellen has been a reporter, copy editor, designer and copy desk chief at papers including the Times Union in Albany, N.Y, and the Tampa Tribune in Florida. Ellen loves animals, the outdoors, reading, country music and trying new kinds of ethnic food.
- Let it snow, let it snow — please, let it snow
- Sunday, Dec. 14, 2014
- Across the country, the winter sports industry has increasingly struggled with unpredictable winters and decreasing snowpack, phenomena attributed to climate change. ...
- Matchmaker service aims to fill leadership void for nonprofits
- Sunday, Nov. 9, 2014
- Moonridge Group, founded in 2011, has launched Board Matchmaker, a free service that connects local nonprofit organizations with competent and passionate people to serve on their boards of directors.
- How Whole Foods can have its kale and eat it, too
- Sunday, Oct. 26, 2014
- The leading grocery store for organic food may have to adjust its strategy as big-box retailers enter the market ...
- Will Las Vegas law usher street performers onto Strip?
- Sunday, Oct. 5, 2014
- Any ordinance for Las Vegas still is months away, but it seems likely regulation is coming — but the Strip is not Las Vegas, technically.
- Atlantic City is no Las Vegas, and it never was
- Sunday, July 27, 2014
- New Jersey's gaming hub is collapsing because it didn't have the DNA advantages that have made Southern Nevada sustainable ...
- Gay marriage ban is bad business
- Sunday, June 29, 2014
- Apart from being the fair and constitutional thing to do, marriage equality makes sense for Nevada’s bottom line. A recent report from the UCLA School of Law puts it in black and white terms: By banning gay marriage, the state is missing out on at least $52 million in economic activity.
- Building off legislative success, interfaith group eyes new set of social concerns
- Wednesday, May 14, 2014
- Elder issues. Immigration. Education. Human trafficking. These issues touch hundreds of thousands of people in the Las Vegas Valley. On Tuesday night, more than 1,500 people — from elected officials to church-going families — came to ...
- Easter sermons focus on life, hope, perseverance, divinity
- Friday, April 6, 2012
- For millions of Christians around the world, this is the most holy week of the year, with the observation today of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and culminating Easter Sunday with the celebration of his resurrection.