Las Vegas Sun

January 22, 2018

Currently: 38° — Complete forecast

Judge to decide Wynn kidnapper’s fate

One of the men involved in the kidnapping seven years ago of Steve Wynn's daughter will have to remain behind bars until a judge figures out if he violated his supervised release.

U.S. Magistrate Roger Hunt ruled Monday that there was reason to believe Anthony Watkins would be a flight risk if released from jail pending his violation hearing.

Watkins was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison and three years supervised released in September 1994 for his role in the kidnapping of Kevyn Wynn.

He was released from prison June 4, and a warrant was issued for him last month after a California probation officer alleged Watkins failed a drug test and failed to report to the probation office for six weeks.

Although U.S. District Judge Lloyd George still presides over Watkins' case, California officials had agreed to monitor Watkins' activities.

Watkins was arrested in Sacramento Dec. 13 and arrived in Las Vegas Friday. Hunt presided over his initial appearance Monday and scheduled a revocation hearing before George for Jan. 25.

According to authorities, Ray Cuddy and Jacob Sherwood surprised Kevyn Wynn, then 26, in the garage of her townhouse on July 26, 1993, blindfolded and bound her. Cuddy then began making arrangements with Steve Wynn, Mirage Resorts Inc. chairman, for a $1.45 million ransom drop-off.

Watkins, who was parked at a nearby fast-food restaurant, acted as lookout.

Eventually, Cuddy and Sherwood put Kevyn Wynn in the rear of her car and drove out of her subdivision. Cuddy joined Watkins in another car and Sherwood took their victim to McCarran International Airport, where she was found unharmed after Cuddy and Watkins picked up the ransom.

The three were identified quickly after authorities were able to trace the phone calls they made to Steve Wynn. Cuddy was arrested on Aug. 1, 1993, while making a sizable down payment on a $196,000 Ferrari in Newport Beach, Calif. Sherwood and Watkins, who are cousins, were arrested Sept. 20, 1993, in St. Louis.

Nearly $1 million of the ransom money was recovered.