Las Vegas Sun

October 17, 2017

Currently: 82° — Complete forecast

1 dies from fireworks injury; no serious fires reported

Updated Monday, July 5, 2010 | 10:44 a.m.

Two adults and two children were injured in fireworks-related incidents Sunday night, and one man died as a result of his injuries, fire officials said.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said a man and woman suffered minor leg burns from fireworks in the 7500 block of Gilmore Avenue shortly after 10 p.m. Two children suffered injuries in other incidents across the valley.

In a separate incident near Sloan Lane and Stewart Avenue, a man in his 20s with serious injuries was taken to a trauma unit at a local hospital after he was injured while lighting fireworks in the street. He later died at the hospital, Szymanski said.

The North Las Vegas Fire Department worked a house fire at 2806 Perliter Avenue. No injuries were reported.

Szymanski said there were no serious building fires in Las Vegas related to fireworks.

“This has been the calmest of all the 15 years I’ve worked on the Fourth of July,” he said.

At 2:15 a.m. this morning, a vacant mobile home caught fire in a closed mobile home park at 1610 N. Rancho Drive. The fire caused $10,000 in damage and destroyed the mobile home, but there was no apparent link to fireworks. Another fire was reported at 2:43 a.m. in a room at a vacant business building at 2331 Martin Luther King Blvd., where investigators say a group of homeless people were living.

Szymanski said the evening began with four minor fire calls from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday about smoke sightings and trash bin fires.

An hour later, seven calls came in regarding a tree on fire at Cervantes Street and East Ogden Avenue, a bush on fire on La Reina Circle and another tree on fire on Fast Elk Street. There were 15 calls for bush and tree fires from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Szymanski said he thinks more people were cautious about tree and bush fires because of the Mount Charleston and Moapa fires, which began Thursday.

“People saw those and said, ‘I don’t want anything like that to happen to my home,’” he said. “The attitude has changed where people want to be safe.”

At midnight, all fireworks became illegal and all fireworks booths closed.